Friday, September 10, 2010

WIP - More Gunboats

Even though I've been busy this week completing the renovation work on the spare bedroom in my house, I have been able to devote a little time to painting more gunboats.  As usual, please click or double click on the image to see a larger picture.

Here's a high oblique view of the three "Asturian" (Spanish) gunboats that will be used in next Saturday's Capitania General de Florida game.  The one in the center is more completed than the other two and contains some of my 25mm Miniature Figurine naval gunner (old Pirate line) figures.
Note:  The brown tops of the gun wales of the two flank gunboats are deliberate as I will be mounting the thole pins to these areas and then touching up the paint.

And a low oblique of the same three.  The hull colors are (from left to right) dark green, charcoal, and dark blue.  The masts will be the same color as will the gun carriage and swivel gun mounts.

Friday, September 3, 2010

WIP - Gunboat, Part 1

Last night I started on my small gunboat flotilla for my Capitania General de Florida mini-campaign.  The next battle will feature some naval action as well as land action.  This gunboat, and her two sisters, will be the Asturian (AKA Spanish) naval force that will be engaging a Britannian naval force.  This resin boat is an Old Glory Shipyard rowboat (GG-001) [link] with an added slide gun and four swivel guns.  I bought them on eBay several years ago, about the same time as the row-galley featured in the last two posts.

As usual, please click (or double-click) on the pictures for larger images.

I only mounted eight of the ten thole pins, four per side.  I drilled through the center of each thole pin and into the gunwhale of the boat, attached a piece of steel wire into the hole with superglue, and glued the thole pin onto the wire with superglue.  I was going to make the thole pins removable but decided against that.  The slide gun is also mounted on a piece of steel wire superglued into the foredeck.  It will probably be left loose so I can either show damage to it or remove it for a more lightly armed boat.  The swivel guns are placed into holes drilled into the gunwhales at each corner of the main deck.  They may also be left loose.

The oars are long (really more like sweeps) and will be shortened slightly.  The mast will eventually have a yard with a brailled up square sail on it.  I may shorten the mast.  Currently it is 6" long and is mounted into a hole drilled completely through the deck of the boat.  It will remain removable, as will the yard.  I will mount the boat on a plastic base that will be 10" (~25 cm) long and 7" (~18 cm) wide.  The sweeps will be glued into the thole pins and onto the base.  The base will be covered with a sea effects picture that I've used before on my 1:2400 pre-dreadnought ships and then textured with a wake and swirls left by the sweeps.

Stay tuned for additional WIP pictures.